The industry game changers, according to Ronnie Screwvala
[March 18, 10]
The first session of Day 2 of FICCI Frames 2010 commenced with a keynote address by Ronnie Screwvala, CEO and Founder Chairman, UTV Group. Starting his address Screwvala said that the mobile phone was his favourite technology right now and that he saw this medium as a potential game changer. The challenge, however, was to get the right profit distribution between telecos and content distributors. As of now, the telecos get 80 per cent of the profit, while the remaining 20 per cent was taken by the content providers.
He then went on to give some key pointers that would help create game changers in the gaming, mobile, web and movie business. According to him, “The first definitely is the scale. Only if there are 3-4 big players in these industries, will the size of this industry increase.” The next was to analyse the competition. Screwvala noted, “For UTV, the competition is not any other corporate media houses, but cricket too, as during the next two months we cannot release any new movie because it will not do well due to the Indian Premier League.”
Consolidation was the next pointer, followed by mobile. Another game changer, according to Screwvala, were games, which could be in any form – be it console, mobile or even online games. “Gaming is not a very well understood market in India,” he noted.
According to him, one more thing that needed to be kept in mind was broadcasting and supporting that with a 360 degree approach of events, digital and radio.
Todays' Other Stories